Seaman Class II (Efficient Deck Hand)
The aim of this course is to provide the training required to form part of a navigational watch in accordance with the STCW 95 Convention Section A-II/4 Table A-II/4 of the STCW Code.
Who would benefit?
This course is recommended for persons who are certified as Seaman Class IV and have gathered at least twelve months seatime experience aboard a merchant vessel.
DURATION & DELIVERY
The duration of this course is two (2) weeks. Classes are from 8:00am to 4:00pm. A combination of lectures sessions and hands-on demonstrations are used to deliver this course. One day of instruction will take place on board an oil tanker.
In this course you will learn the following:
- Steering the ship and complying with helm orders
- Keeping a proper look-out by sight and by hearing
- Participating effectively in the execution of a safe watch
- Operating emergency equipment and applying emergency procedures
- Performing seamanship duties effectively and efficiently
- An awareness of pollution and its detrimental effects on the environment
- Module 1: Sea Survival Intermediate
- Module 2: Marine Emergency Duties
- Module 3: Nautical Knowledge (Deck)
- Module 4: Seamanship
- Module 5: Pollution Prevention
- Not less that eighteen (18) years of age
- Medically fit
- Good eyesight in terms of colour, vision and form
- Ability to read and write
- Certificate of Competency as Seaman Class IV
- Seatime aboard a merchant vessel
The Certification of Competency as Seaman Class 2 is awarded by the director of Maritime Services Division, Ministry of Works and Transport to candidates who are certified as a Seaman Class 4 and have successfully completed the above training course to the satisfaction of the director.
this course is recommended for seafarers with Class IV certification and a minimum of twelve months sea time on board a merchant vessel.
Possible Careers/job Titles: Supervisory positions on the deck e.g. Bosun or Mate.
Durations : 10 days