Engineering Rating Category II (Motorman)
The aim of this course is to provide training for crew members that assist in engine room operations.
Who would benefit?
This course is recommended for any individual who intends to work as an engine room assistant.
DURATION & DELIVERY
The duration of this course is eight (8) weeks. Classes are from 8:00am to 4:00pm. A combination of lectures sessions and hands-on demonstrations are used to deliver this course.
In this course you will become familiarised with the operating of machinery in an engine room, as well as learn how to maintain and monitor such machinery.
- The marine diesel engine
- Lubrication and lubricating systems
- Cooling systems
- Fuels and fuel systems
- Air supply systems/scavenging
- Pumping systems
- Introduction to hydraulic machinery
- Power transmission
- Instrumentation and automation
- Refrigeration practice
- Ship construction and naval architecture
- Electrical practice
- Steam engineering practice
- Domestic auxiliaries
- Watch keeping
- Marine pollution and control
- Machine shop practice
- Completion of Basic Training Engineering rating class 4
- 12 months experience working in the engine room of an ocean going vessel
Upon successful completion of the course, candidates will receive a certificate in accordance with the STCW 95 Convention Section A-III/4.
In this course participants will learn to maintain and monitor machinery in an engine room It is recommended for Engine Room Assistants.
Possible careers/Job titles: Wipers, Oilers, Pump men, Engineering Assistants (electrical and refrigeration)
Durations : 8 weeks